Mouth opening

I was having a bad tooth ache few days back, and all of a sudden I am unable to open my mouth. I can hardly place single finger in my mouth. I have been to a dentist he said I would need to go through a minor surgery to extract the last tooth, I believe the wisdom tooth. But the surgeon couldn't, coz the mouth opening was not upto the mark. I'm having a hard time eating anything due to this and the pain gets worse daily and the mouth opening is still the same. He has given few medications but still nothing happened. It's almost 3 days now. Any suggestions, of what this is and how to fix this.
views-icons 72 Views bookmarks-icon 2 Bookmarks Mail QnA Whatsapp QnA v

Dr. Raghavendra
Dental Surgeon 10 yrs exp Tumkur

Based on ur symptoms it could be the tooth in the lower jaw mainly posterior tooth. The main reason for restricted mouth opening is bcz of spasm of ur masticating muscle due to sustained infection and infection has spread down from the jaw to below.. kindly visit dentist get medication mainly antibiotics than muscle relaxers and all. Ask dentist to give an injection and go for manual mouth opening from him repeat procedure at home several times.. better go for novamox CV 625 mg 3 tablet a day for 5 days, take chymotrypsin to release swelling faster, ketorolac DT as pain killer.. better get that tooth removed for ur benefit
Dr. Puja Bansal
Dentist 18 yrs exp Pune

hello, we need to know what medications you have been prescribed. you can take muscle relaxants and do mouth opening exercises which will help you to open your mouth without pain. after this you can go for a minor surgical procedure of extraction.
Dr. J Daniel Raj
Dentist 6 yrs exp Chennai

Your difficulty in mouth opening is propably due to the wisdom teeth from the history you have given. The solution for this is taking muscle relaxant and forceful opening of your mouth by a dentist. After that you got to take muscle relaxants for few more days and also do some mouth opening exercise suggested by your dentist. And also you have to get your wisdom teeth removed for this problem not to recurr
Visit a dentist and get your mouth opened followed by extraction of wisdom teeth

Hello there.  I can understand your concern. It woukd have been really helpful if you had attached a copy of your prescription along with this question. Anyways, i dont know if the wisdom tooth is impacted or there is any infection, take a tab. Zerodol-sp twice a day after food and do salt water mouth wash and consult a dentist in person to get the tooth extracted. Best regards. Dr. Anil kumar jain. Bangalore.
Dr. Neha Rajni
Dentist 12 yrs exp Bangalore
With the medicine you can try hot water gargling and hot water holding technique, in this method u need to hold hot water in your mouth as much you can bear. Try this 2-3 times a day and continue the medicine too.
Dr. Kishor V.Selukar
Dentist 8 yrs exp Pune
Visit your dentist, he will prescribe some muscle relaxants, take for 2to 3 days, if mouth opening not improved, go for forceful mouth opening & removal of your wisdom tooth
warm salt water gargles will add some benifit,
do mouth opening exercise also
Dr. Yatharth Bhatia
Dentist 13 yrs exp Gurgaon
Hi Unfortunately the only option is forced mouth opening . It is a painful process. But once the mouth is opened forcefully , you will have a great relief. Further you can go ahead with extraction. Regards