Menstruation

Hello, I m having irregular periods. Facing major mood swings. Gaining weight although my diet is not much. Having full body swelling. I had an operation of gall bladder stone in 2012. After that I lost so much weight and got in shape. But now I m highly gaining it and don't know the reason why. The problem with my irregular periods is previous but the other problems are presently with me. One of my friend told me that I am having symptoms of PCOS. But i want to know about it more and to be treated well. So I can look good again and feel healthy. Thank you

Doctor Answers (2) on Menstruation

Dr. Disha Sridhar Bangalore | Gynecologist/Obstetrician
Please read my blogs. Hope that helps.
Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
Hello, PCOS(POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME) is a problem in which a woman's hormones are out of balance. It can cause problems with your periods and make it difficult to get pregnant. PCOS also may cause unwanted changes in the way you look. If it isn't treated, over time it can lead to serious health problems, such as diabetes and heart disease. The most common symptoms are: Acne.Weight gain and trouble losing weight.Extra hair on the face and body.Thinning hair or even hair loss on scalp.Irregular periods. Often women with PCOS have fewer than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have very heavy bleeding.Fertility problems. Many women who have PCOS have trouble getting pregnant(infertility), depression. Regular exercise, healthy foods, and weight control are the key treatments for PCOS. Treatment (hormonal) can reduce unpleasant symptoms and help prevent long-term health problems. Try to fit in moderate activity and/or vigorous activity often. Brisk Walking, jogging, dance or aerobics are great exercise that most people can do.Eat heart-healthy foods. This includes lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, and whole grains. It limits foods that are high insaturated fat, such as meats, cheeses, and fried foods.Most women who have PCOS can benefit from losing weight. Even losing 5kg may help get your hormones in balance, regulate your menstrual cycle and can make you ovulate. Please consult a gynecologist, because even hypothyroidism could cause similar symptoms.