Lower back and leg pain

My Brother is 21 years old and he is suffering from the lower back and leg pain, there is swelling in one leg and he is not able to walk at all. He did the MRI of entire back but nothing was diagnosed. Doctor (Nero surgeon) gave few medicine and asked him to rest for few days but his condition is same even after 1 week of rest. Now we are consulting with an Orthopedic Surgeon and he asked for blood test/ MRI of leg and etc. The reports will be coming by end of day today. I am just seeking here for the 2nd opinion, Can you please tell me that what could be the possible problem and how to diagnose it?

Doctor Answers (1) on Lower back and leg pain

Dr. Navya G Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there... Leg pain with swelling could be because of many causes like muscle strain, tendinitis, undernutrition, electrolyte imbalance(causes muscle cramps), deep vein thrombosis, varicose veins,peripheral arterial diseases, if it's associated with backpain then it could be due to neurological causes like sciatica, sacroilitis.. To treat it finding exact cause is needed. Get mri leg and Doppler of leg once done. Symptomatic treatment like hot fomentation, local application of gels with diclofenac, oral tablets containing aceclofenac/diclofenac, avoid standing for long time, do leg exercises regularly.