Lip color

I have a habit of peeling my lips, I tried to control it but I could not. Now Lip color turned to white color. How to get normal lip color back

Doctor Answers (1) on Lip color

Thanks for the query. Meet a Dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed, it could be vitiligo. Vitiligo is an immune system mediated skin disease which can be brought into remission by certain medications and life style changes. Now its believed to be a multi system disorder that can have other auto immune comorbidities. A proper assessment to determine the presence and severity of these comorbidities is needed. Most of the patients do well if they stick to the recommendations. Kindly see a dermatologist for a treatment plan.  Vitiligo is an auto immune condition with long term treatment plans. Lip are difficult area to treat and most resistant. If you have tried medical therapy and not achieved desired results, you can consider suction blister grafts/non cultured melanocytes suspension, a sort of surgery performed for Vitiligo. It requires expertise to perform and results take few months to be visible. There are other surgical methods as well, but this two are quite popular and effective.The prerequisite for surgery is stable disease for atleast a year, Hope it helps. Dr MK Agarwala