Light lines on nails

I have a light black/brown thin line exact in the middle of the left hand thumb. There in no pain or etching. I don't remember any injury on the thumb. I consulted to a doctor, (not a Dermatologist) he informed me that it was due to fungal infection. I took medicine for a week. The line didn't vanish neither it become dark. Later I went to him and showed him, he informed that the line has become little bit light and nothing to worry and he informed me to ignore. Its not on any other finger on hands or Leg. Is this a serious issue? Do I need to take a second opinion especially from a Dermatologist? Does this need urgent attention?

Doctor Answers (1) on Light lines on nails

longitudinal melanonychia is the dermatological term used for your condition. It is definitely not a fungal infection for sure and I highly recommended to see a Dermatologist. The underlying cause can be multi-factorial and very very rarely it can be an early sign of melanoma- a form of skin cancer. So dont delay the diagnosis. Hope it hepls. Dr MK Agarwala