Left eye is getting small

Doctor, from last few months, my friends started to warn me, that one of your eye is getting shorter than other, and while going for passport photograph, its clearly visualized that left eye lid is not expanding as much as right one and it significantly looks smaller than other, What is this and what to do now to cure
views-icons 219 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Mail QnA Whatsapp QnA v

Dr. Ravi Thadani
Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon 34 yrs exp Delhi
According to your history, it seems that you have Ptosis. Ptosis is a condition that occurs when one or both upper eyelids droop and the edge of the upper eyelid falls towards or over the pupil, making the eye look smaller than the other. Ptosis is usually caused by stretching or thinning of the tendon between the muscle that normally raises the eyelid and the eyelid itself. With stretching or thinning, the muscle that normally raises the eyelid has to work harder to lift it. This leads to symptoms of eyelid and forehead muscle fatigue and eyelid heaviness. Other less common causes of ptosis are nerve and muscle damage from any cause, various types of eyelid surgery, infection, muscle weakness, systemic diseases such as stroke and tumors behind the eye, myasthenia, hypertension, thyroid disorders and diabetes. You must get it examined by ophthalmologist to know causative factor and managed accordingly.