L5S1 disc prolapse

I was diagnosed with L5S1 disc prolapse. Although I am on medicines that the doctor provided , He said the final solution is a microdiscectomy. I was going through the procedure videos what happens during the surgery. One doubt which came was what will happen to the gap when disc is removed.

Doctor Answers (1) on L5S1 disc prolapse

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello. I think you should know that, a microdiscectomy procedure doesn't affect the major joints or the ligaments or muscles, the basic structure of spine will be have similar mechanical strength as the normal. The procedure usually invovles removal a small piece of a bone in the vertebrae only to gain access and it also helps to relieve some pressure on the nerve ending which might be pressing on it, resulting in your symptoms of pain. Also only the portion of the disc which is protruding is removed and remaining healthy part usually left intact. The main idea behind this surgery is to relieve pressure on the nerve root and give some space to heal. If you are still concerned kindly consult a neurosurgeon for further management.