Kidney related

My father was admitted to hospital due to urinary infection initially and later we learnt that the infection has affected the kidney as well. Since then he was advised to be on dialysis for 3 days a week. Creatinine levels are not coming under control as expected. However his kidney look normal in the ultrasound and no shrinkage have been detected. The urine output is close to 1.5 litres per day. After a month, he is now advised to go through dialysis for 2 days in a week. Please let me know approximately how long should he go through dialysis..

Doctor Answers (1) on Kidney related

Dr. Prashant C Dheerendra Bangalore | Nephrologist/Renal Specialist
It is difficult to say the exact duration for which he will need dialysis. In elderly diabetics many times recovery does not happen because kidney function might have been compromised even before the infection occurred. A good urine output of more than a litre per day along with a creatinine that decreases to less than 3 without dialysis should be achieved before one can consider stopping dialysis.