Itchy eyes

At times my eyes itch uncontrollably . This last for a day or two and at times 5-6days.
Was prescribed If2 drops to be administered only when said symptom occurs. A 2nd opinion advised continous use of drops as would inflict permanent damage to vision. I need to know the cause of the same rather than treat the symptom
views-icons 26 Views 1 Share Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on Itchy eyes

Dr. Vinit Mahendra Shah Mumbai | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
You seem to have allergic eye disease. In this condition the eyes react to some allergens in our environment which maybe due to pollution or cosmetics or seasonal pollens. Hence whenever your eyes are exposed to such allergens a chemical called histamine is released in the skin (conjunctiva) of the eye which gives us a sensation to itch. You may also be having coexistent cold in the form of running nose or sneezing during such epi
odes. The only permanent solution is to find the allergen and avoid complete exposure to that allergen. However it wont be practically possible to do so.
Hence to control your allergic symptoms you will require anti histaminic eye drops and tablets.