Infected Abscess
I have a infected abscess in my back. The size is of about one inch. Should it be removed immediately? Or I need to take antibiotics and wait for it to settle down?

Dr. Samrat Bordoloi
General Pathologist 3 yrs exp Bangalore
The general mechanism of abscess is that it is a walled off space filled with pus. So antibiotics cannot reach the space. In abscess formation it is usually preferred to drain the space and then start on antibiotics. But the call is best taken by a surgeon when to drain it after examining it. I would suggest you to consult a surgeon and let him examine it and then let him decide.