How to get rid of snoring

My husband snores while sleeping how to get rid of snoring,is it possible to get rid of it completely, please help

Doctor Answers (3) on How to get rid of snoring

Dr. B. M. Lava Bangalore | General Physician
Madam, Since how long does he have this problem. What treatment he has taken .Few problems if properly diagnosed, he will get relief. Get back to me with details.
Dr. Arghya Deb Kolkata | Consultant Physician
Snoring occurs due to deposition of excessive redundant fatty tissues around neck and due to the laxity of the muscles that holds the tongue forward during sleep. Ask him to -loose weight -Avoid alcohol consumption -Sleep in prone position That's all he's needed at least for now. If the problem persist or if there is excessive daytime sleepiness leading to poor concentration, headache, irritability do a polysomnography i.e sleep study to rule out obstructive sleep apnoea which if detected, night time CPAP will be needed. All d best.
Dr. Vinod Veerapalli Bangalore | General Physician
Snoring is due to obstruction to passage of air during breathing. It is very annoying to the spouse and also very difficult to treat often. For starters, you can eliminate mild degree of obstruction by losing weight, maintaining good sleep hygiene, breathing exercises (pranayamam), etc. If persists, needs to be differentiated from a disorder called Obesity-Hypoventilation syndrome for which a sleep study may be required.