High Grade ACL tear,

Almost an year back i felt a twist in in my knee while playing cricket and have consulted a doctor who exmanined and said no problem. Over the time the pain has gone and i could do all my routines as regularly except that i cant run as fast as i used to (It pains if i tried running faster.) Recently during a visit to some factory i have jumped from a wall of about 5 feet and felt the same pain. This time the doctor have asked for an MRI and it says (1)MINIMAL EFFUSION INVOLVING THE JOIN CAVITY AND SUPRATELLAR RECESS. (2) ANTERIOR CRUTIATE LIGAMENT AT THE FEMORAL ATTACHMENT SHOW HIGH GRADE TEAR WITH SECONDARY BUCKLING OF POSTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT AND ANTERIOR TIBIAL TRANSLATION. 3)POSTERIOR HORN OF MEDIAL MENISCUS SHOWS GRADE III TEAR. Please gide me with the possible treatment. Do i have to undergo surgery and how long will be the healing process after surgery. What are the chances of getting to pre injury state after surgery. Thank you for your time and suggestion. Charan.
views-icons 103 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on High Grade ACL tear,

Dr. Sushal Shanthakumar Bangalore | Orthopedic Surgeon
Hi, you will have to undergo the surgery. Your knee joint is unstable and in the long run will lead to secondary arthritis if acl is not reconstructed. You will need an arthroscopic acl reconstruction with meniscal repair/partial meniscectomy . A good surgeon + a good physio will get u walking without any support by end of 4 weeks and get u to pre op activity level by 5-6 months.