High ESR (45mm).

Hello Dr(s), My wife has higher ESR rate and we consulted a doctor and he advised to take Steroids which she is taking since one week. For the last two days she has some swelling on her leg on the knee. Is there any side effect because of steroids? Appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Doctor Answers (3) on High ESR (45mm).

Steroids may not cause swelling This is probably due to the disease which caused increased ESR Please consult your doctor immediately and inform him of this development
Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello There. I can understand your concern. you really consulted a doctor or you consulted a quack? why would steroids be given in managing the raised ESR? what were the symptoms she was facing? why was ESR even done in the first place? give proper details as to what she had, then mention other other reports also. just this much history is not at all helpful. best regards, Dr. Anil kumar jain.
Naresh Kumar Monigari Karimnagar | Consultant Physician
Hello, why was ESR checked?. Secondly just for raised ESR steroids should not be given as treatment. ESR is very non specific and it's major use is only in rheumatic disorders. Kindly send more details about her problem and upload all the investigations that were done. Then I can tell you whether steroid to be taken or not.