cardiologist-icon
High BP & Type 2 Diabetes
I have high BP for over 10 years. Recently in April 2016 the Fasting glucose was 107.4, PP blood glucose was 100.4 and Hb1Ac 3 month average was 6.5%. The consulting Dr / Pathologist said that I dont have diabetes. But for safety side recommeded 1 tablet daily Glycomet SR 500 and asked me to repeat the test after 1 month. As per my earlier test done in Nov 15 the Fasting blood sugar was 111 & PP blood glucose was 162. Here also the Dr said that I dont have diabetes. My questions are: 1) Do I have diabetes? 2) Should I continue to take Glycomet SR 500 daily? For how long should I continue? 3) My BP is normally 140/95. For high BP should I continue to take Nebistar5 and Cilaheart T or change to some other medicine? 4) What precautions should I take to control my BP & Blood sugar levels? Thanks. Request you to please answer each of the above 4 questions. Thanks

Dr. Ashish Srivastava
Cardiologist 5 yrs exp Noida

No you don't have diabetes as of now but fall in the pre diabetic category Your problem should ideally be managed with diet (diabetic diet) and lifestyle changes (brisk walking twenty minutes in morning and twenty minutes in the evening for instance) Continue antihypertensives.I would like to change your drugs to Tablet Telma H (40/12.5)  once daily @ 8 am if your creatinine is normal You should adapt to DASH and for diabetes I've told you earlier