Hair fall problem

I have huge hairfall for past many years and it has increased even more.. I was advised by a doctor to apply minoxidil 5% for 2 years but since I cudnot see any positive effect I stopped it... N after couple of months.. I used hair for sure ointment as suggested by a beautician. But that also dint give any good result...however I dint use it regularly.. wanted to know if I should continue with monixidil 5% or use hair for sure...

Doctor Answers (1) on Hair fall problem

Dr. Pradnya Shastri Mumbai | Trichologist
I'm sure you must know there are multiple reasons for hair fall. To come to a fairly accurate diagnosis : 1. Count your hair (if less than 100 it is normal and you must be shedding your hair which happens in women 2 or 3 times a year) 2. Check your hemoglobin (low hemoglobin is the commonest cause of consistent hair fall in Indian women) 3. Check your thyroid function. Low thyroid can increase hair fall . Minoxidil is one of the few good treatments available for hair fall, especially female pattern baldness. Which is why the question arises, why it didn't help you. For which you need to visit a dermatologist. You could get a second opinion if needed. But do visit one. A thorough evaluation of your scalp is required to rule out any other cause of hair fall besides the one mentioned above.