Eyes problem

My father's eyes have got some problem..some liquid keeps on coming from the eyes. He had been using some drops which were prescribed but no use. Not its increased. It's doesn't hurt..but water keeps on flowing
views-icons 72 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark 2 Shares Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (1) on Eyes problem

Varun Boddula Hyderabad | Ophthalmologist/ Eye Surgeon
There are two possibilities for your symptom here

If its watering from eyes;
most common causes could be

a, canalicular stenosis (might cause blockage of normal flow of tears from eyes to nose) - no specific undervention required at this stage but we can add him on omega 3 fatty acids which help in decreasing excess tears.

b, Dacrocystitis - Infection of lacrimal sac ( the sac which generally drains tears)

there are tests like  syringing test; bence jones dye dissappearance test etc to detect the level of blockage

c, dry eye - the natural tears doesnt just contain water ; it also comprises of a layer of oil which prevents water from being evaporated and will have high surface tension ;; any damage to oil secreting glands will trigger excess water(tear) production.

If its Discharge - i mean if the liquied you mentioned is yellowish/whitish --- then it could be due to infection -
In such a case we need to start on antibiotics and might even require a small surgery to evacuate the sac.

There is a lot to explain in this regard as the anatomy of production and drainage is very complex.

I tried to explain things in short

Hope this helps:)

* As per the guidelines of practo ; i am not supposed to prescribe drugs.