Extreme pain in calf

My mother has extreme pain in the calf especially while sleeping. Full body check ups have not revealed much. 1. What could the reason be for this? 2. Is it indicative of osteoporosis? 3. What should be done to detect and correct this?

Doctor Answers (3) on Extreme pain in calf

Hi. This could be cramps due to water and electrolyte imbalance. Ensure sufficient hydration by asking her to drink atleast 2.5 lt of water (average) and of no other restrictions; and if she is not diabetic, you can give her lemon juice with a pinch of salt. Ask her to have a clear bowel evaluation. The second reason may be vascular claudication. Use pibda taila for application from below upwards followed by lukewarm water pour. Things will improve in 3 days.
Please consult a vascular surgeon
Dr. Arun R Bangalore | General Physician
Hi, this should be a muscle problem. Please show a surgeon and you can do a Doppler study to check for any DVT. I doubt if it could be due to osteoporosis.