Extra vertebra in neck
My son has an extra vertebra in neck.this problem is diagnosed in x ray when we have gone to orthopaedic doctor for neck stiffness complain. I want to know does having an extra vertebra is an issue.is this a serious issue.

Dr. Vishwas Virmani (PT)
Physiotherapist 20 yrs exp Noida

Nothing to worry
Sharath Kumar K N
General Physician Mandya
hello,There may be an extra lower cervical vertebrae ie after C7 and before T1 ...a transitional vertebrae. The lowest cervical intervertebral nerve root would supply innervation of the hand - typically C8 nerve root leads to numbness in hand or stiff neck. Perhaps with the extra vertebrae there is some compromise or pinching of this nerve root. The EMG will help reveal any nerve involvement. even though there no cure for this , symptoms can be kept in control by medications, kindly talk to your orthopedician.