Excessive Hair fall

I am suffering from too much hair fall and hair thinning from a year and a half now. I am pretty sure this problem is not genetic as no one in my family paternal or maternal has suffered from this problem prematurely. Also, there is a lot of itching in my scalp. One of the reasons is dandruff, I tried different shampoos & various home measures but nothing worked for me. There are almost 200-300 strands of hair that I lose on a daily basis. Please can you help in getting right medication for me to stop premature hair loss.

Doctor Answers (1) on Excessive Hair fall

Thanks for the query. Male pattern baldness - even without a family history,its possible to have this and be the first member to get affected. MPB is an increasing problem in today's society. Hair care is a daily ritual shaped by age, gender, socioeconomic status and internal health. The treatment typically consists of usage of oral medication (Finasteride) and topical lotion (Minoxidil ). The dosage and duration is decided by your dermatologist.  You need to be patient with the treatment protocol as it takes months to see initial improvement. Certain dermatologists supplement biotin, hair serum and advice procedures like PRP therapy which may accelerate the rate of hair growth. PRP needs multiple sessions roughly at 6 weeks intervals. PRP therapy is increasingly being accepted by dermatologists all over the world. Apart from active pharmaceutical medicines, a healthy diet and lifestyle is mandatory to achieve results.   Best wishes Dr MK Agarwala