In our present day, due to high-stress levels and pollution, we see premature graying of hair among girls as young as 16. Your hair follicles contain pigmentation cells. These pigmentation cells are called melanin; thatâs responsible for giving our hair the color it naturally has. The higher melanin content your hair follicles will generate, the darker your hair color will be. And similarly, the lower the melanin content generated by your hair follicles, the lighter your hair will be. As we grow older, there is a loss in these cells, which results in lessening the intensity of the color and eventually loss of color. When the melanin count decreases significantly at an early age, premature graying of hair is experienced. The causes for premature graying are:
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Thyroid diseases
- Lack of nutrition
- Stress/ Hectic lifestyle
Some methods to reduce and control this situation are:
- Destress yourself with methods such as yoga, meditation or tai chi.
- Have a clean, healthy diet with a lot of proteins as your hair and nails are made up of a protein called Keratin. Include spinach, dairy products like cheese, milk, butter, etc. also include green leafy vegetables, almonds, berries, orange, salmon in your daily diet. Dark chocolate can also help in this situation.
- Quit habit such as smoking if you have the habit
- Have a light and organic shampoo
- Oil your hair regularly as a dehydrated hair can cause graying. Boil curry leaves in coconut oil and applies it to the hair.
- Avoid usage of perfumed hair oils
If the condition persists or worsens visit the dermatologist at the earliest
Follow the steps as advised
If condition persists or worsens visit the dermatologist at the earliest
White Hair or greying hair mainly occurs when your hair follicles stop producing melanin, the pigment that gives hair its color. Though, ageing is the primary reason of grey hair but premature greying of hair in early 20’s or 30’s is now common.
Genetic factors, stress, lack of nutrition, chemicals, smoking or any underlying disease like anemia can also lead to premature greying of hair. All these factors lead to underproduction melanin that leads to grey or white hair.
Lack of minerals like zinc, copper is one of the most underestimated yet one of the most analysed reasons for grey hair.
Turning already grey hair into black is not possible after a particular age, but you can always slow down further greying of hair.
A balanced diet is the most effective solution to control greying of hair. Include lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, protein rich sources of food in your diet. Load up on food items containing antioxidant and vitamin C like gooseberry, oranges, lemon etc.
Try to stay stress free.
Disclaimer : The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.