Dysthmia=severe depressio

3.5 years ago I went to psychiatrist as I was feeling depressed.Doctor diagnosed with dysthmia and gave me fluvoxin or fluvaxamine.I am very ok but I have to take daily as I do not feel normal without medication.As doctor said I have to take throughout life.Is their any treatment in Psychiatry by which I can remain normal without fluvaxamine?As fluvaxamine is very sedative I feel very sleepy always.
views-icons 73 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Mail QnA Whatsapp QnA v

Dr. Antara Gupta
Neuropsychiatrist 13 yrs exp Aligarh

Changing the time of medicine may help. Or even the med itself.  Agents like flunil and vilazodone are good and can be continued in low dose without sedation or side effects. Ask your doctor about it. Yes you should also use stress busting measures side by side.
Ms. Tishya Mahindru Shahani
Psychologist 6 yrs exp Vadodara
hi, please visit a psychologist in your area and seek psychotherapy. therapy is not addictive like medication and will help in stabilizing your mood also.
Dr. Priyanka Yadav
Psychiatrist 13 yrs exp Delhi
Dear Practo user We need to review your history to confirm the diagnosis so that a decision can be taken about your medication. Some psychiatric disorders are chronic disorders like diabetes or hypertension. So we need to weigh the risk and benefit of continuing or stopping the medication. Also your concerns need to be addressed regarding side effects of the medication. Psychotherapy may also be considered. So a detailed discussion needs to be done with your treating Psychiatrist and I am sure your concerns will be addressed.
detailed collaborative discussion with psychiatrist
Dr. Vikas Khanna
Hypnotherapist 15 yrs exp Delhi
It is a strange that psychotherapy and counseling is under emphasized in depression. you must first get a COUNSELING DONE.
get counseling done
Dr. Kavita Sagarkar
Psychiatrist 21 yrs exp Mumbai
Hi, you will benefit from counseling or  therapy from a competent Psychiatrist. Dysthymia as opposed to Depression shows that there are more Psychological or environmental factors affecting your Depressive state. It will require change in your perceptions about yourself and your surroundings. At present, continue your medication, speak to your doctor about feeling drowsy with medication and ask for a solution to that. In the long run as I said you will benefit from counseling or therapy. Then with the guidance of the doctor you can gradually get off medication. It is not necessary to take medicines for lifelong, but after you have made changes in yourself through therapy, it will be easier to get off medication. Hope this helps. All the best!