Difficultyin mouthopening

I was having a bad tooth ache few days back, and all of a sudden I am unable to open my mouth. I can hardly place single finger in my mouth. I have been to a dentist he said I would need to go through a minor surgery to extract the last tooth, I believe the wisdom tooth. But the surgeon couldn't, coz the mouth opening was not upto the mark. I'm having a hard time eating anything due to this and the pain gets worse daily and the mouth opening is still the same. He has given few medications but still nothing happened. It's almost 3 days now. Any suggestions, of what this is and how to fix this.
views-icons 130 Views bookmarks-icon 2 Bookmarks Bookmark this Answer

Dr. Babita Sangwan
Dental Surgeon 11 yrs exp Gurgaon

Hi kindly do warm saline rinses with betadine added to it. .It will relieve the pain and mouth opening would increase.  . Muscle relaxant would help too. .and visit the dentist for tooth removal as soon as the symptoms disappear ..
Dr. Suman Makam
Dentist 21 yrs exp Bangalore

Hello, It is common for the jaw muscles to get into a spasm due to the spread of infection along the facial planes causing inability to open the mouth.You need to take a course of muscle relaxants with antibiotics and pain killers.Get rid of the infected tooth at the earliest.Dr Suman Makam,Dental Arts,Jayanagar,Bangalore. Regards
Dr. Sanjay Shah
Cosmetic/Aesthetic Dentist 30 yrs exp Mumbai

What u are suffering from is called trismus or inability to open your jaws due to infections and spasms of your jaw muscles..  We need to open your Jaw with a jaw opener which is a device which slowly opens ur Jaws. It's a scissor shaped instrument which helps open ur jaw one turn at a time. You also need an antibiotic course with an antiinflammatory along with a muscle relaxant. Then we can check what's the issue with the third molar.  Plz send your OPG xray for further evaluation.  Feel free to consult Laser Smile Care Centre.  God bless u.
Dr. Puja Bansal
Dentist 18 yrs exp Pune
hello, we need to know what medications you have been prescribed. you can take muscle relaxants and do mouth opening exercises which will help you to open your mouth without pain. after this you can go for a minor surgical procedure of extraction.
Dr. Jagadish CD
Dentist 6 yrs exp Mysore
Wait for the antibiotics to act. Usually 5 days. U might have given some pain killers with muscle relaxant. U need to visit an oral surgeon(omfs ) they have various devices to open your mouth. Meanwhile avoid warm or hot food. Keep cold compression.
First get a radiograph of the teeth or OPG, this condition is called trismus. Just attach radiograph of the teeth and then we can rule out this problem.
Dr. Balasubramanya K V
Dentist 17 yrs exp Bangalore
Hi, have you taken radiography