Difficultyin mouthopening

I was having a bad tooth ache few days back, and all of a sudden I am unable to open my mouth. I can hardly place single finger in my mouth. I have been to a dentist he said I would need to go through a minor surgery to extract the last tooth, I believe the wisdom tooth. But the surgeon couldn't, coz the mouth opening was not upto the mark. I'm having a hard time eating anything due to this and the pain gets worse daily and the mouth opening is still the same. He has given few medications but still nothing happened. It's almost 3 days now. Any suggestions, of what this is and how to fix this.
views-icons 77 Views bookmarks-icon 2 Bookmarks Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (7) on Difficultyin mouthopening

Dr. Puja Bansal Pune | Dentist
hello, we need to know what medications you have been prescribed. you can take muscle relaxants and do mouth opening exercises which will help you to open your mouth without pain. after this you can go for a minor surgical procedure of extraction.
Hi kindly do warm saline rinses with betadine added to it. .It will relieve the pain and mouth opening would increase.  . Muscle relaxant would help too. .and visit the dentist for tooth removal as soon as the symptoms disappear ..
Hello, It is common for the jaw muscles to get into a spasm due to the spread of infection along the facial planes causing inability to open the mouth.You need to take a course of muscle relaxants with antibiotics and pain killers.Get rid of the infected tooth at the earliest.Dr Suman Makam,Dental Arts,Jayanagar,Bangalore. Regards
Wait for the antibiotics to act. Usually 5 days.
U might have given some pain killers with muscle relaxant.
U need to visit an oral surgeon(omfs ) they have various devices to open your mouth.
Meanwhile avoid warm or hot food. Keep cold compression.
Purva Jingar Jaipur | Dentist
First get a radiograph of the teeth or OPG, this condition is called trismus. Just attach radiograph of the teeth and then we can rule out this problem.
Dr. Sanjay Shah Mumbai | Cosmetic/Aesthetic Dentist
What u are suffering from is called trismus or inability to open your jaws due to infections and spasms of your jaw muscles..  We need to open your Jaw with a jaw opener which is a device which slowly opens ur Jaws. It's a scissor shaped instrument which helps open ur jaw one turn at a time. You also need an antibiotic course with an antiinflammatory along with a muscle relaxant. Then we can check what's the issue with the third molar.  Plz send your OPG xray for further evaluation.  Feel free to consult Laser Smile Care Centre.  God bless u.
Hi, have you taken radiography