Diet information
My father is 65 suffering from uric acid, thyroid and pressure. I want to know what are foods that he should eat and what he should avoid. Pls help

Ms. Nisha Singh
Dietitian/Nutritionist 17 yrs exp Mumbai
Hi, to keep his blood pressure in check avoid foods with too much salt. do not add table salt on salads, raita, buttermilk etc. subsititute it with balck salt. avoid processed and packaged foods as well like papads, pickles, too much cheese, ready to eat flavoured oats, ketchup, maggi etc. high uric acid is a side effect so to speak of hypothyroidism. avoid peas, mushrooms, rajma, chole, spinach, brinjal. if you are a non vegetarian avoid shell fishes, mackerel, red meat. avoid alcohol especially beer. A diet high in fiber i.e. fresh fruits an vegetables, vitamin c will help in reducing uric acid. drink atleast 2-3 liters of water daily. hope this guides you.