Depression,self harm

My partner is suffering from suicidal thoughts and exhibits self harming behavior. He also has social adjustment issues. He does not have healthy relationships with peers, colleagues or friends. He is also self obsessed to a great extent. It is extremely difficult to handle him when he tries to hurt himself. He is also constantly negative about all things in life (relationship, carreer,etc). He hides information at times and doesn't give straight replies to questions or tries to change the topic in case of a serious discussion regarding our relationship issues. However, he is caring to a great extent. He hides his real emotions behind humor most of the times. He also talks abstract sometimes and its difficult to understand the context. Please guide on how can I help him. I am a 24 year old female. We work in the same organization and also live nearby.

Dr. Antara Gupta
Neuropsychiatrist 13 yrs exp Aligarh

Go for a personality assessment . Suicidality is serious.. visit a psychiatrist.
Dr. Udayan Bhaumik
Psychiatrist 2 yrs exp Mangalore

As he is suicidal now..he needs to be admitted and treated on a emergency basis..best to consult any psychiatric hospital/nursing home setup.Once he improves we can look at psychological interventions..
Dr. Sarah Ahmed
Psychotherapist 5 yrs exp Bangalore

Hello, as you mentioned that he has suicidal thoughts and self harming behavior,i suggest you try to take him to visit a psychiatrist doctor first as medication maybe needed to control his behaviour,once the behaviour is brought under control,he can take counselling sessions with a clinical psychologist who can help him to overcome his depression and past issues which seem to be affecting his present.Sometimes past issues are very deep rooted and it maybe difficult for him to resolve it on his own,then the counselling sessions can help him to resolve the issues.You will require a lot of patience as this process takes time,but he needs your support during this time to overcome his issues.Take care .