Depression and insomnia

Hi Doctor, I'm suffering from insomnia since about 3 weeks and I've not slept at all for about 4 days in these 3 weeks. It will started with 1 sleepless night which was not a concern. But after that everyday it is causing anxiety and I began to worry how will I sleep tonight. Even though I got sleep that night, still next day I'll worry about how will it happen tonight etc.. Every time I go to bed various thoughts start coming to mind and keep my awake, which in turn makes me lot tired next day. I've lost interest in everything else which I used to enjoy before 3 weeks and always the same thing keeps going on in my head worrying about sleep. My family doctor has now prescribed etizolam 0.5mg every night before sleeping. It helps a bit to get about 4-5 hours of sleep but not much. How should I break this cycle of insomnia and depression. I'm only 23 now. Please advise how can I stop constantly worrying about it and stop these thoughts from coming during sleeping

Doctor Answers (3) on Depression and insomnia

you seem to suffering significantly due to inability to sleep. you have got into a vicious cycle of lack of sleep, lethargy , anticipatory anxiety of sleep.
practice sleep hygiene
regulate your timings for exercise , food, rest . avoid stimulants after five pm, go for a walk for one hour , have a hot water bath, take a light meal less of fatty, switch off mobile tv and other electronic 30 min before sleep time , pick a book and read in a chair , get on to your bed when you very sure of falling asleep, do not discuss controversial things at sleep time.
Jankhana Hakani Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hello,
As per your symptoms, u are suffering from depression.
Are you have feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, worthlessness, lack of self confidence, suicidal ideation?
consult a psychiatrist for a proper treatment plan including medications and counseling.
Dr. Akshata Bhat Mumbai | Psychiatrist
Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so much. Feeling low, tired, disinterested in anything, sleep and appetite disturbances are some signs of depression. You also seem to be having a lot of anxiety. Medication would definitely help to alleviate your symptoms. For now, please try guided meditation and progressive muscular relaxation, videos for both are available on YouTube. Other than that, exercise for at least 15 mins per day. Spend time with your friends or family. Indulge in some enjoyable activity. Try to keep the same timing for sleep and waking. All of this will help you relax. You can consult me for further treatment, if required.