Dark patches in the face

I have dark patches in chin area and cheeks. I believe it started when I was in Bangalore where I was doing night shift and my skin got too much exposed to the very cold weather during winter. My skin got peeled after which I started noticing these dark patches on my face. Then, I moved to Chennai. People didn't notice these patches on my face since they appeared loo lightly. Then, over the past 3 months, the patches became too dark and so evident that it is the first thing that people talk to me about is about the dark patches. I visited a famous doctor with my mother's recommendation. She said she had watched him on TV shows. I met him and he prescribed me costly oinments and tablets. I used them for a month and a half; I did not see any improvement. In fact, people said it is becoming worse day by day. My skin looks very bad now. I need to get rid of these dark patches. What do I need to do? Please suggest.

Doctor Answers (1) on Dark patches in the face

Thanks for the query. Skin care is a daily ritual shaped by age, gender, socioeconomic status and internal health. Skin care needs to be customized based on the presenting complaints. Based on your description, it appears that you have facial melanosis which could be melasma compounded by acanthosis nigricans. These conditions have a strong relation to one's internal health. Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation which will include a retinol based night cream and a vitamin C based lotion. There may be other depigmenting creams to be applied. Sun protection is mandatory and will require usage of Sunscreens. You may benefit from usage of a Laser device i.e. Q- switched N d YAG. Internal health needs to be fixed based on blood chemistry reports Apart from active pharmaceutical medicines, a healthy diet and lifestyle is mandatory to achieve results. Best wishes Dr MK Agarwala New Delhi