Cyst in Overy

My Wife is having a small cyst in her overy. The cyst exist from last 1 year. Some time it appears in left side and some times on right side. I have been to 2 doctors and they were giving her tablets but her cyst is still exist. One of the doctor told us to go for a laparoscopy operation in which they will puncture the cyst. During last scan the Cyst measurement was 3.7*2.5 cm My Question: Is it necessary to go for operation ? Can't it be removed through medicines or injection ? We are planning for a pregnancy, so Is there any side effect of the operation?

Doctor Answers (2) on Cyst in Overy

Dr. Disha Sridhar Bangalore | Gynecologist/Obstetrician
Please  read my blog on PCOS. Hope that helps.
In a 32 year old lady, who is having regular menstrual and ovarian cycles, it is not unusual to find small simple cysts or follicles on the ovaries. These come and go, as they may form as a result of follicles growing prior to ovulation, then may disappear as they rupture or resolve spontaneously. They may sometimes respond to treatment with combined contraceptive pills. If the USG report mentions "simple" cyst, with no septum or other complex features, and she is not experiencing any symptoms from it, you can carry on with six monthly follow up with USG, and opt for surgery only if symptomatic, or if the cyst grows further ie > 5cm. It is unlikely to affect your chances of falling pregnant. You will need to get the size assessed by USG six monthly during the pregnancy as well.