Constipation

Please suggest me on how to overcome this problem. My daughter is very much healthy n aged about 17 months. Very much active and takes good food. But the only thing is constipation. Irregular loo and she struggles a lot sometimes. Have been using medicines but that's only for a time being. I need a solution for this. Please help me and suggest me. Thank you.

Doctor Answers (2) on Constipation

Dr. Ravi Gupta Noida | Pediatrician
I agree with Dr. Navya. Few points I would like to add Constipation can become habitual and cyclical. That is more and longer constipated u are the longer u will take to recover from it. Once this cycle is broken then the aim should be to sustain it a nd not let it come back again. So apart from diet and fluids and fiber which are very important it is to encourage and give rewards for passing stool by keeping a star chart.
Dr. Navya G Bangalore | General Physician
Hi there.. constipation is common problem in children.. it mite be due to lack of physical activity, diet low in fibre, less fluid intake... you can treat it by diet changes like- To soften the stools and make them easier to pass, increase the amount of fluid and fiber your child gets each day. High-fiber foods include fruits and fruit juices that contain sorbitol (prune, mango, pear), vegetables (broccoli, peas), beans, and whole-grain breads and cereals. Limit foods that can increase constipation, such as fatty foods that are low in fiber.. make sure your baby plays well.. make your child sit in toilet for ten mins and encourage to pass stools..