Chronic constipation

I have been suffering from constipation for the past 2 months (feeling of not passing stool completely in the morning). Post that, the feeling sometimes last the entire day and I am even straining while passing stool. On and off I have been taking lactulose which gives some relief but not completely. I was taking lactulose twice a day but now I am taking it once every night. Currently trying to include enough fiber and water into the diet (trying to drink 3-3.5 litres of water). However, relief isn't permanent and I notice that certain kinds of food make my more constipated (white rice, chicken etc.) It's been an unhappy difficult situation. What do you advise I do and get rid of this problem? Should I try some Ayurvedic or other natural methods.

Doctor Answers (1) on Chronic constipation

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hi..., Increase your fiber intake. Adding fiber to your diet increases the weight of your stool and speeds its passage through your intestines. Slowly begin to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables each day. Choose whole-grain breads and cereals.... Exercise most days of the week. Physical activity increases muscle activity in your intestines. Try to fit in exercise most days of the week. Don't ignore the urge to have a bowel movement. Take your time in the bathroom, allowing yourself enough time to have a bowel movement without distractions and without feeling rushed.