Chondromalacia patellae

I am suffering from chondromalasia patellae in both legs. I am on medication for last six months. M doing physiotherapy also. I am seeing any improvement. What should I do?? Also I want to know that is it possible that the pattela is moving properly in femoral cavity but still chondromalasia accorud??

Doctor Answers (1) on Chondromalacia patellae

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
The primary goal for treatment and rehabilitation of chondromalacia patella is to create a straighter pathway for the patella (kneecap) to follow during quadriceps contraction. Initial pain management involves avoiding motions which irritate the kneecap. Icing and anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen can also be helpful. Selective strengthening of the inner portion of the quadriceps muscle will help normalize the tracking of the patella. Cardiovascular conditioning can be maintained by stationary bicycling at low resistance but high rpms, pool running, or swimming (flutter kick). Reviewing any changes in training prior to chondromalacia patella pain, as well as examining running shoes for proper biomechanical fit are critical to avoid repeating the painful cycle. Generally, full squat exercises with weights are avoided. Occasionally, bracing with patellar centering devices is required. Stretching and strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups is critical for an effective and lasting rehabilitation of chondromalacia patella. "Quad sets" are the foundation of such a program. Quad sets are done by contracting the thigh muscles while the legs are straight and holding the contraction for a count of 10. Sets of 10 contractions are done between 15-20 times per day. Consult nearest orthopedic surgeon for further help.