Child Sex Abuse
My wife is a victim of repetitive sex abuse (molestation) in childhood at the age of 8-10yrs. After knowing her ordeals, have given even kind of mental support. But she tends to relive those moments and gets into a shell and finally breaks down into tears. What should be the Dos & Don'ts?

Dr. Naresh Vadlamani
Psychiatrist 23 yrs exp Hyderabad

it takes 2-3years if regular weekly visits of counseling or psychotherapy for her to recover completely and lead a near normal life. Normally, many people drop initially or even midway. very rarely to people complete the therapy. hence many people continue to suffer including their family members
Dr. Divya Shree K.R
Psychiatrist 10 yrs exp Bangalore
Hello, Sexual abuse is one of the unfortunate  ordeals many children face I  our country. It can lead to a lot of long term psychological  problems which persists through adulthood. However with a supportive, sensitive relationship the victims will heal. Being supportive and understanding as in any trauma is adequate.  She can see a therapist for some trauma focused  work if she is finding it very difficult  to deal with  it on a day to day basis.