Cavity Issue & Toothache
My son is having cavities in a few of his teeth and the dentist has advised for RCT (Root canal treatment). For this, he will be using the conscious sedation method and giving him Nitrous oxide inhalation. Is it SAFE is my topmost worry? Is it advisable for such a treatment? Appreciate a genuine response. Thanks!

Dr. Pradnya Kale
Dentist 8 yrs exp Pune

If your son is a cooperative and manageable child, no need for sedation. Yes in some cases it is certainly needed. But almost 80% cases do not require such techniques. Simple local anesthesia and soothing talk, tell-show-do techniques suffice.A good pedodontist will tell you how he/she will differentiate between the non cooperative and the cooperative child.
Dr. Tanmay Gandre
Dentist 5 yrs exp Mumbai
Hello dear practo user, Using Nitrous Oxide is completely safe but it is required in those children who are un-cooperative ..a simple local anaesthetic injection would suffice otherwise.. u need to talk to your kid about the treatment to make him mentally prepared for it and the rest will be taken care of by your dentist himself I'm sure.. all the best.