chest-icon

Bronchial Asthma

Dear Doctor, My mother is suffering from Asthma since 38 years. She is also allergic to certain medicines especially anti-biotic contents like Amoxycillin, Doxycillin etc. Now she is taking Budecort and Duollin respules nebeulization on a regular basis. But at times when cold and cough attacks, she will be having severe breathing problems. Need to know about how to deal with this kind of issues. If you can suggest a solution it would rather help us and probably alike patients around. Thanks a lot.

Dr. Sukhant Bagdia
Pulmonologist 4 yrs exp Nagpur

Thanks for a brief introduction on your problems. This appears to me as asthma which is not controlled properly. Allergy to medicine usually have no issues for asthma. If she is having recurrent cough and cold then she should be on regular daily medicines to control underlying reason for asthma. The medicines given by nebulization is usually 10 times the dose given by the inhalers, hence not advisable for routine treatment. She should be shown to a pulmonologist and a spirometry test performed on her to know the severity of disease. Accordingly daily inhalers with spacer needs to be taken. Also avoid triggers like smoke in home from various sources, perfumes, strong odors, dust, and other factors which bother her. Finally medicines regularly plus avoiding triggers will control her asthma. But she may not get cured if it's this long history. Hope it helps.