Breast Abscess/Mastitis

I got a breast infection on 13th Feb and was in acute pain on 13th and 14th. I went to see doc who wrote me cephaxime twice a day for 5 days. First ultrasound showed inflamation in one of the quadrant. The entire week passed by but nothing changed much. On Saturday, i got another scan done which showed pus in the same quadrant and breast abscess for which doc suggested FNAC. FNAC showed some pus in diffused manner. The abscess is around 2cm. Doc told me to get incision and drainage. She told me it will be a day long process, where a general anesthesia will be given for 2-3 hours and requires fasting from morning. I researched and found the abscess less 3cm can be done by needle aspiration and does not required incision which my doctor did not suggest. I took opinions from other doctors who gave me augmentin for another 5 days. Now the pain is reduced a lot, size i am not sure whether it is decreasing but not increasing for sure. Could you please suggest what should i do ?

Doctor Answers (1) on Breast Abscess/Mastitis

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there, If an abscess is present, it must be drained. After injection of a local anesthetic, the doctor may drain an abscess near the surface of the skin either by aspiration with a needle and syringe or by using a small incision. This can be done in the emergency department. If the abscess is deep in the breast, however, it may require surgical drainage in the operating room. This procedure is usually done under general anesthesia to minimize pain and completely drain the abscess. Antibiotics and heat on the area are also used to treat abscesses....