Black toe nails

I looked for some information online and now I am afraid that I may be suffering from skin cancer/melanoma. I have vertical black lines on both my toe nails. Can you help me know what it really is? I have attached some images. Please look into them. Thanks.

Doctor Answers (2) on Black toe nails

Greetings. The marks that are visible in the photos that you have sent are not suggestive of any kind of cancer. Please note : 1. Information available on the internet - is half baked. 2. While it is good to be informed, its not good to take undue tension with half information available online. 3. Such discolouration can occur constitutionally in brown and dark skin races - doesnt mean it is to do anything with cancer. 4. Such pigmentation can also occur due to some kind of fungal infection or due to chronic intake of certain medicines - for further evaluation - see a qualified dermatologist near you. Warm regards
Images cannot ascertain the nature of disease underlying and particularly in such cases. You should meet a dermatologist and get a examination done. If it appears suspicious, the dermatologist will advise for a nail plate biopsy which will be ultimate diagnosis and based on its report, further actions can be planned.