Bipolar disorder

Doctor, for the past few months I have been through mood swings very frequently. I will get off to a bad mood all of a sudden. Sometimes I feel so lonely and isolated. I won't eat my food at times. Sometimes I try to hurt myself.My mummy is also a psychiatrist. Am I bipolar? Thanks, Jasper. M

Dr. Ramprasad Attur
Psychiatrist 19 yrs exp Mysore

Dear Jasper, As a colleague suggested below,assuming diagnosis is only going to make it worse.Please avoid going online for diagnosis,but of course can use it to seek advice,support. Bipolar is a medical diagnosis and is treatable. Of course your mother being a psychiatrist may be a bit of disadvantage for you in seeking correct help.If you share good relationship with her,discuss your concerns,ask her to speak to one of her colleagues to see you. Do you exercise regularly,engage in activity that differs from your routine? Good luck
Vinaya Prabha
Clinical Psychologist 20 yrs exp Bangalore
Hullo Jasper, I suggest you see a psychiatrist for further clarification. The information you have given is insufficient to make any diagnosis. Best wishes