Baby getting hick ups
My Son,15 days old, is getting hick ups for about 5 mins continuously in a day. Can "gastica drops" be used for the baby as the local doctor suggested that it might be due to gastric problem. Please help!

Dr. Pranav Gupta
Pediatrician 13 yrs exp Delhi

Hiccups are due to spasmodic contractions of diaphragm. Diaphragm is a muscle that separates chest from abdomen and is helpful in breathing. Gastric is a medicine with dil oil, fennel extracts, etc. Current evidence doesn't support use of any such medicine. I would advise you to burp your baby after every feed. Also, please try to offer exclusive breast feeds to your baby. Do not offer any prelacteals or medicine without consulting your paediatrician.