Anxiety, guilt,frustratio

A friend mine gets sad even at the drop of a pin. I feel she is in depression. She lost her dad recently and I feel she's not able to cope up. There are signs of anxiety and also an episode of low BP. She also has suicidal thoughts. I'm very scared, what can I do to help her?

Doctor Answers (1) on Anxiety, guilt,frustratio

Ms. SnehaJanaki Ramesh Mumbai | Counselling Psychologist
Hello. I can see that you are concerned about your friend. In spite of being scared, you have been alert of your friend's mental health and reached out for help and I would like to appreciate the same. You could encourage her to see a mental health professional as soon as possible to understand and support her. In case she hesitates on going to a professional, there are also telephonic helplines like i-call which could provide counselling over the phone. As you have pointed out, death and bereavement can create turmoil and reduce people's abilities to cope with other situations too. In the meanwhile, you could support her by continuing to provide a safe space for her to talk and share her feelings and thoughts.