Androgenic Alopecia

It seems I have androgenic alopecia. I have been prescribed Minoxidil 5% earlier as well. However Minoxidil seems to only work when the application is on, otherwise it seems to reverse the effect. Furthermore, there seems to be more negative reviews about it than positive. I have also been prescribed Finasteride which again is a DHT prohibiter. Though the dosage is low 1mg a day, it still can cause permanent irreversible damage to sexual wellness in male. I wanted to know other than this or PRP, transplant is there any way to help me in hair fall and grow hair.

Doctor Answers (1) on Androgenic Alopecia

Greetings. You seem to be knowing medical facts about the medications and whatever you have mentioned is mostly correct. Minoxidil is recommended by US-FDA for indefinite usage and once you stop it, the benefits stop which is perceived by patients as accelerated hair fall. About Finasteride, though the actual chance of developing such side effects is very low, but it can happen. Few of the side effects are reversible. The decision to start and continue finasteride can be suggested by a Dermatologist but it is upto you to accept or decline it. However the evidence for benefits of medications used in male pattern baldness supports finasteride and it is the most effective medication. Maximum benefit is seen only after a year of continous usage. If you are not prepared to take it for a year or so, you should not start it. Apart from sexual side effects, there are some other side effects like with any other medications and monitoring has to be done which your Dermatologist will know. Reviews though helpful are mostly written by non-Dermatologists and you should not believe them blindly. PRP is a top up therapy and hair transplant is the last option. However as per medical literature, Minoxidil and Finasteride are two most effective options for a male pattern baldness. Even if you opt for hair transplant, the two medications should continue.
Be wise and make a informed decision. Do not fall prey to marketing gimmicks.
All the best.