Allergy hives

For the past 5 months I have had a outbreak of allergy hives almost everyday. It erupts all over my body and reduces only if I take Allegra 180 mg prescribed by my GP. The only reason I have found is lack of sleep, as when I get a good amount of sleep it doesn't break out or does so after some delay and when I have disrupted or less sleep the out break is severe and fast. Can this be the only cause or is there some other reason? I have changed soaps, food etc to identify the cause but sleep is the only factor I have found. It has reduced now but was very high during summer. Please advice. Thank you.

Doctor Answers (1) on Allergy hives

Thanks for the query. Hives are irritating and difficult to live with. Chronic urticaria is the medical terminology and needs proper assessment. The triggers should be identified. Based on your description, it appears that you have intermittent variable of chronic urticaria. These conditions have a strong relation to one's internal health and it needs to be evaluated as often quoted - Skin is the mirror of internal health. Your dermatologist will decide a treatment plan for you after a consultation which probably will include a non sedative antihistamine and some other medications based on blood chemistry. A common mistake is to take antihistamines as when and needed while it should be taken for a reasonably long time frame in urticaria whether you develop hives or not. After a certain period,its advisable to wean the treatment. Now a days modern treatment options also exists which requires once a month treatment. Hope it helps.