Acne an mild PCOS
Hi I am 28 years old (unmarried) with mild PCOS. I have never had irregular cycles till now. I have been getting cystic acne on my face for the past 6 months. Although I have acne on my face it is not so severe. Few acne are so painful, severe and remain on the skin for a long time. My doctor wants me to start taking Isotretinoin (10 mg for 2 weeks), 20 mg (for a month) and increasing the dose slowly every month for over an year. I am really not sure if it is ok to take Isotretinoin for such a long time since my acne is not very severe.

Dr. Pinanky Jadhav-Adhe
Dermatologist 11 yrs exp Pune
Hello, I can understand your frustration. Acne is a chronic condition and can be effectively kept under ' control'. Isotretinoin is one of the wonder drug to treat acne. Your Dermatologist is the best person to decide ideal dose and time duration you need to take the medicine. You will need to undergo a couple of blood tests at regular intervals while on the medication and inform your when you decide to get married as you cant conceive while you are on this medicine. Along with this you need to focus on lifestyle changes like daily exercise, weight reduction ( if you are overweight) ,avoiding outside junk food, dairy products and consume lots of vegetables to counter PCOD- the main reason for your acne. Hope this helps. Regards, Dr Pinanky Jadhav, Pune