Frequently Asked Questions
What is Gynecomastia?
The condition that makes the breast tissue swell in boys and men is known as Gynecomastia. This condition occurs due to the imbalance between the 2 hormones in the body. Though the development of breasts in man won’t be similar to that of a woman, all men are born with a small amount of breast tissue. The male body produces testosterone during puberty to guide sexual growth. However, a small amount of estrogen (helps girls to guide sexuality during puberty) is also made. The older man makes less testosterone than adolescent boys hence the hormonal imbalance between testosterone and estrogen occurs. Due to this higher amount of estrogen in male causes the breast tissues to swell resulting in Gynecomastia.
How does Gynecomastia happen?
Hormone imbalance can be triggered by various reasons hence exact cause is unknown. As the body changes during puberty and aging, few conditions might also trigger Gynecomastia such as:
- Injury or disease affecting the testicles
- Thyroid problems
- Few types of cancers
- The medication of various ailments such as heart diseases, cancer, depression, or ulcers
- Illegal drugs consumption such as steroids(anabolic), marijuana, and heroin
- Kidney failure
- Liver disease
- Some infant boys develop gynecomastia for a brief period of time as the hormones from the mother’s body are still in the infant
What are the symptoms of Gynecomastia?
- The first sign of Gynecomastia is a fatty lump of tissue under the nipple and in few cases, it can be tender and sore.
- Uneven swelling under the breast can happen hence making one breast larger than the other.
How to diagnose Gynecomastia?
The skin of the breast is examined by the doctor for any hard lumps or oozing fluids that can be a sign of cancer. The tests done to diagnose Gynecomastia are:
- Blood or urine sample
- Mammography or biopsy
What is the treatment of Gynecomastia?
- Most cases of gynecomastia get better without any treatment.
- The doctor might refer the individual to the specialist known as an endocrinologist, a type of doctor who treats problems related to the hormones and their effects on the body.
- The treatment plan depends on the individual’s age, health, and time period of the condition, and on the response of the drugs.
- During puberty, gynecomastia goes away within 6 months to 3 years.
- If the condition is due to hormonal imbalance, then treating the underlying cause will be a better option.
- The medication will be given for balancing the hormones that cause gynecomastia.
- In rare cases, surgery may be required to treat gynecomastia. However, few individuals may undergo liposuction or mastectomy.
Before choosing the treatment plan, please have a brief discussion with the doctor about the risks and benefits of each treatment plan.
What is the cost of Gynecomastia Surgery in Bangalore?
Cost of Gynecomastia Surgery depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Age of the patient
- Size of the breast
- Type of procedure planned to be performed
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc.
The minimum cost in Bangalore starts from Rs.50,000
An average cost in Bangalore is approximately Rs.58,000
The maximum cost in Bangalore can be up to Rs.90,000
What can be the emotional reaction during Gynecomastia?
- Gynecomastia can cause anxiety, depression, reduces self-confidence, and can cause eating disorders especially in the boys who are going through puberty.
- The doctor may refer the patient to a mental health specialist to help the patient to overcome the resulting issues.