Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Medical Termination of Pregnancy?
Medical Termination of Pregnancy also known as medical abortion or the abortion pill a sit involves taking two pills to terminate the pregnancy. These terminating pills are not the same as the morning-after pills or plan B as it prevents pregnancy. The first pill to be taken in MTP is Mifepristone and the second pill is Misoprostol also known as Cytotec. The use of these pills together increases the effectiveness in terminating the pregnancy with lowered side effects.
Who is not eligible for Medical Termination of Pregnancy?
Women with any of the following conditions are not eligible for MTP.
- With the ineffective medical pill
- With ectopic pregnancy or masses on the ovaries
- On long-term corticosteroids
- With certain genetic disorder
- Who are unable to follow the procedures and directions
- Who are unable to access emergency facilities or treatments
- With molar pregnancy
- With kidney, liver, or heart disorder
- With adrenal gland problems
- With IUD but can take the pill after removal of IUD
- With bleeding disorders
- On anti-clotting medications
However, before undergoing MTP, please consult or visit either Gynecologist or Sexologist.
How much effective is the Medical Termination of Pregnancy?
The abortion pill is 98% effective when mifepristone and misoprostol are used in combination. The effectiveness rate decreases for each week added during pregnancy.
However, the factors determining the effectiveness of abortion pills are the following:
- Age of the pregnancy
- Dose and administration of the medication
- Whether the woman has been pregnant before
If the pills don’t work, the woman has to undergo a surgical abortion.
How does the Medical Termination of Pregnancy works?
- The two pills taken during Medical Termination of Pregnancy are mifepristone and misoprostol.
- Mifepristone is the first pill a woman would take. This pill stops the progesterone production hence causes the inner uterine wall to break down and leads to detachment of embryo from the wall.
- After 24 to 48 hours of the first pill, misoprostol is administered which induces contractions of the uterus hence expels the embryo that causes the bleeding.
What is the recovery time after Medical termination of Pregnancy?
Abortion will happen after one or two days of taking the second pill. However, a woman may experience light bleeding, cramps, and spotting after two to four weeks followed by Medical Termination of Pregnancy.
What are the benefits of MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy)?
- Medical abortions can happen as early as a woman finds out about the pregnancy
- Anesthesia is not required
- A natural process similar to a miscarriage
- Risks such as uterine perforations are avoided
- Abortion pills cost less than surgical abortions
What to do after MTP?
After both the pills are taken, women should return to the doctor for a pregnancy test to confirm the termination was successful or not. After taking the pills, one should wait for at least one week to have sex even if the doctor has prescribed antibiotics to avoid infections.
What are the side-effects or risks of the MTP?
- Incomplete or unsuccessful abortion (viable fetus or the remains of the fetus in the womb causing severe infections)
- Undetected ectopic pregnancy
- Blood clots in the uterus
- Heavy bleeding
- Severe pain
- Strong-smelling vaginal bleeding
- Passing clots after two hours which are bigger than the size of the lemon
Apart from the above side effects, one can have other side effects as well. So, please consult your Gynecologist or Doctor and discuss the risks and side effects of MTP.