435 doctors available in Chennai
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What are the therapies for the treatment of vaginal itching?
Vaginal itching is treated with medications that control the growth of bacteria and yeast and normalise the vaginal acid level. They include antifungals, antibiotics, antivirals, lotions and creams.
2. What are the complications associated with vaginal itching?
Women with candida infections or bacterial vaginosis possess a greater risk of developing sexually transmitted diseases. In pregnant women, these infections are linked with premature deliveries and low-birthweight babies.
3. Whom should I consult for the treatment of vaginal itching?
Vaginal itching can be treated by a general physician or a primary health care provider. Recurrent or complicated cases should be referred to a gynaecologist or a specialist in sexual infection medicine.
4. Can vaginal itching occur due to some allergic reaction?
Vaginal itching is usually due to a bacterial or fungal infection. An allergic reaction is unlikely.
5. Do I need to avoid intercourse while I am experiencing vaginal itching?
It is recommended that women avoid sexual intercourse during treatment. However, it is strongly advised to use a condom during sexual intercourse for avoiding the risk of sexually transmitted diseases.