What is Growth Scan?
The ultrasound scan done during the last trimester of the pregnancy is known as Growth Scan. This scan is done to determine the growth of the fetus and it can be done many times as per the requirements. The first fetal scan is done between 28 weeks and 32 weeks of pregnancy for determination of the well being and the growth of the fetus. The second Growth Scan and color doppler investigations are done when the due date is closer that is between 36 and 40 weeks.
What is the use of Growth Scan?
- Growth Scan is important to check the normal growth of the fetus inside the womb
- Monitors fetus’s moves, breathe and stretches
- Determination of amniotic fluid
- Determines the position and weight of the fetus
- Monitors the position and the maturity of the placenta
- Checks the position of the umbilical cord
- Monitors the wellbeing and circulations of the baby
- Previously done C-section scar determination
- Twin pregnancy monitoring
How is Growth Scan performed?
- Growth Scans are carried out by trained and professional Sonographers. The scans are carried out in dimly lit rooms so that the sonographers can see the scans properly on the screen.
- The patient is asked to full the bladder as the scans are more clear when the bladder is full. The patient will be asked to lie down on the bed or couch and asked to lower the bottom she is wearing till the hips and lift the top till the chest, hence the abdomen is bare.
- The gel is applied to the abdomen to make good contact between the abdomen and the probe used during sonography and a black and which image of the fetus is seen on the screen.
- Usually, the scans don’t hurt, but the sonographer has to apply little pressure on the abdomen to get the better visuals of the fetus.
- The scan usually takes around 30 minutes.
Can a patient be accompanied by their partner or friend during Growth Scan?
Yes, the patient can be accompanied by their partner or friend to see the scans. Usually, the hospitals don’t allow children to the scans as there won’t be any child safety. One can contact the facility and inquire about the visitor policies during the scans.
Is Growth Scan harmful to the baby or the mother?
There are no known risks to the baby or to the mother of undergoing a scan. But to undergo a scan is totally up to the parents-to-be.
Is it necessary to undergo a Growth Scan?
No, it is not necessary to undergo this scan. This is up to the couple, some wanna know whether their unborn child has any condition and some do not. Even if the mother decides not to undergo the scan, the pregnancy care will be carried out in the same manner as previously.
When does the result of the Growth Scan be known?
The Sonographer might be able to tell the result while doing the scan.
Are further scans needed after Growth Scan?
In most of the cases, the scan shows the growth of the baby as expected. If the scans show some kind of abnormality, then the couple is asked to go for further advanced tests to confirm the condition.