Frequently asked questions
What is Circumcision?
Circumcision is a minor surgical procedure done to remove or extend excess or narrow foreskin which can get stuck behind the tip of the penis which causes discomfort or pain, it may also cause discomfort during sexual intercourse in adult men.
What can be the advantages of Circumcision?
Advantages of Circumcision are the following:
- Reduce the risk of penile cancer
- Foreskin infections
- Conditions like inability to pull back the foreskin
- Restricted blood flow to the end of the penis, or inflammation of glans
- Prevent STDs like HIV, Urinary tract infections [UTI]
What are the indications of Circumcision?
Indications of Circumcision are Balanitis (swollen of the head of the penis), Paraphimosis (blood flow to the end of the penis is obstructed because of the narrow foreskin), Phimosis (Unable to pull back the foreskin), Balanoposthitis (inflammation of the foreskin and penile tip), etc.
What is the preparation for Circumcision?
- About the risks, complications, and uses of Circumcision should be discussed with the doctor.
- The patient should inform about past and present medical and medication history to the doctor.
- The doctor may suggest undergoing a few lab tests and other examinations
- The medical condition of the patient may be checked by the doctor before undergoing Circumcision.
What are the steps involved in the Circumcision?
Few steps may change according to the type of circumcision performed by your doctor, but circumcision involves the following steps in general:
- This procedure can be performed using either local, general or regional anesthesia.
- The tip of the penis and the foreskin will be separated to expose the head of the penis.
- The foreskin will be removed by vertical cuts on the upper side and the underside of the penis with the help of scissors.
- The blood vessels and the foreskin edges are closed with sutures.
What is the care taken for patients after Circumcision?
- Adults must avoid sex until the incisions heal.
- Regular follow-ups with the doctor is a must.
- Caretakers must take care of the children who had undergone circumcision as suggested by the doctor.
- Use painkillers or anti-infective as prescribed by the doctor.
- Loose-fitting clothes must be preferred to avoid pressure at the surgery site.
Doctors from which specialty can perform this Circumcision?
Circumcision may be performed by doctors from various specialties like Pediatrician, Urologist, Obstetrician, or a well-experienced family doctor.
What is the price of Circumcision in Chennai?
Expenses for Circumcision in Chennai changes due to the following factors:
- The medical condition of the patient
- Surgeon fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
Minimum amount to be paid in Chennai starts from Rs.12,000
Average charges in Chennai is approximately Rs. 29,756
Maximum cost in Chennai rises up to Rs. 95,000
Is Circumcision a major or minor surgery/procedure?
Circumcision is a minor surgery
Who can prefer to get Circumcision?
Following are the individuals who can undergo Circumcision:
- In some cases, parents would prefer their children to undergo this procedure for religious beliefs
- Adults and grown-ups with penile complications or conditions
- All newborn male babies
Who cannot prefer to get Circumcision?
Circumcision is not recommended for Older men aged above 80 years, Young or adult men with clotting disorders, infections, etc.
What are the risks and complications of Circumcision?
Following are the risks and complications of Circumcision:
- Urethral damage and difficulty in urination
- Improper healing of the wound
- Reattachment of the foreskin in rare cases
- Blood loss, infection, pain, and swelling of the penis may occur
What is the recovery time from Circumcision?
It will take one to two weeks to recover from the procedure.
What is the success rate of Circumcision?
A few factors may determine the success rate of Circumcision and they are:
- Medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Patient age
- Type of surgery performed
However, the success rate of Circumcision can be 60-80%.
Does Circumcision hurt the patient?
You may experience a slight discomfort until the surgery heals.
What can be the long-term effects of Circumcision?
Few long term goals can be improved erectile function and overall sexual satisfaction, Relief from the difficulty caused by the narrow foreskin, etc.
What measures can be taken if Circumcision fails?
Your doctor can suggest a revision surgery or may prescribe gels or creams which can provide some relief.
Are there any alternatives to Circumcision?
Alternatives of Circumcision are plastic surgery methods like preputioplasty, topical steroid creams, expanding the foreskin by regular stretching, etc.