Frequently Asked Questions
What is Chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is the treatment method of using chemotherapeutic drugs [drug therapy] to either cure, treat, control, or reduce the symptoms of any disease. Generally, chemotherapy is used to treat cancer disease and with the help of radiation and surgery, it can remove, kill, or damage the cancer cells in a certain area of the body. Chemotherapy drugs can control the hyper-immune-system in disease conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Chemotherapy uses more than 100 drugs and it depends on the type of the disease. The dosage form of chemotherapy drugs depends on the type of cancer and they are:
- Topical route [creams, lotions, etc.]
- Oral route [tablets, capsules, etc.]
What are the advantages of Chemotherapy?
The advantages of Chemotherapy are as follows:
Decreases the growth of cancer cells
- Cure or treat the cancer
- Controls the spread of cancer to surrounding healthy cells
- Reduce the chances of reoccurrence of the cancer
- Improves patient's quality of life
What are the indications of Chemotherapy?
Indications for Chemotherapy are the following:
- Breast cancer
- Any type of cancer
- To stop spreading the cancer cell to the surrounding healthy tissues or cells
What is the preparation for Chemotherapy?
Before undergoing Chemotherapy, the following preparation is needed:
- Discuss with the doctor about all the risks, complications, and benefits associated with Chemotherapy.
- Before undergoing chemotherapy, the patient should inform past and present medical and medication history to the doctor.
The doctor may suggest the patient to undergo a few lab tests before the surgery.
- The patient should sign a consent form before the surgery.
What is the post-therapy care/recovery care for Chemotherapy?
- After the completion of the chemo session, the patient may need to stay in the hospital until the completion of the examination by the doctors.
- Should follow the diet given by the dietician.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- During and after the procedure, the patient may feel sad or lonely. To avoid this, the patient should visit the doctor for counseling.
- Make follow-up appointments with the doctor to check the status of the disease condition and the effectiveness of the chemotherapy.
Who can perform Chemotherapy [Right specialist type for Chemotherapy]?
Chemotherapy can be performed by:
- A surgeon who performed several successful Chemotherapy
What is the cost of Chemotherapy?
Cost of Chemotherapy depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Oncologist fee
- Age of the patient
- Area of the body to be treated
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of chemotherapy planned to be performed
- Post-therapy complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost for Chemotherapy in Chennai starts from Rs.4,000
Average expenses for Chemotherapy in Chennai is approximately Rs.22,200
Maximum amount to be paid for Chemotherapy in Chennai rises to Rs.45,000
Is Chemotherapy a major surgery or minor procedure?
Chemotherapy may be a major procedure as it involves the usage of either a single drug or combination of drugs to treat the disease condition and may cause several side-effects to the patients.
What is the eligibility criteria for Chemotherapy?
People who can undergo Chemotherapy are the one who is suffering from any type of cancer.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Chemotherapy?
People who cannot undergo Chemotherapy are the ones who are allergic to the drugs that are being used as a part of chemotherapy.
What are the risks and complications associated with Chemotherapy?
Following are a few risks and complications of Chemotherapy :
- Hair loss [Alopecia]
- Nausea or vomiting
- Severe tiredness
- Hearing impairment
- Bleeding problems
- Decreases blood levels or the count
- Oral inflammation
- Loss of appetite
- Mental health problems
How long does it take to complete Chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy may take almost 4-6 months to complete and sometimes it may take less or more than the usual time depending on the number of treatment cycles, condition of the patient, type of cancer, and type of drugs used.
What is the recovery time?
Individuals who undergo Chemotherapy may take 3-6 months to recover completely.
What is the success rate of Chemotherapy?
The success rate of Chemotherapy depends on the following factors:
- Number of treatment cycles
- Type of cancer
- Type of chemotherapy drugs used
- Age of the patient
- Health condition of the patient
Is Chemotherapy painful?
Generally, most of the chemotherapeutic drugs don't cause any pain and there is less chance for the patients to feel pain during and after the chemotherapy. However, if any pain is experienced, consult the doctor immediately.
Is Chemotherapy permanent?
Chemotherapy is a permanent procedure that helps to either cure or reduce the spread of cancer.
What are the long-term results of Chemotherapy?
- Reduces the reoccurrence of cancer
- Stops the spread of cancer to surrounding cells
- Hearing loss
- Hair loss
What are the options if Chemotherapy fails?
If Chemotherapy fails, the doctor may suggest alternatives like Radiation therapy, Immunotherapy, etc.
What are the alternatives for Chemotherapy?
- Radiation therapy
- Hormone therapy