Frequently Asked Questions
What is IUI and its advantages?
IUI is an abbreviated form of intrauterine insemination that helps in treating fertility problems. IUI increases the number of sperm count to reach the fallopian tubes and facilitates the fertilization. This process is coordinated with the menstrual cycle and a few fertility medications.
Advantages of IUI are the following:
- Less expensive and invasive procedure when compared to other infertility treatments
- Can be performed in the doctor office
- Doesn't cause vaginal irritation
- Increases the sperm count and helps for fertilization
What are the indications of IUI?
Indications of IUI are the following conditions:
- The inability of the sperm to reach the uterus
- Cervical mucus problems
- Male infertility
- Ejaculation dysfunction
- Treatment with fertility medications fail
- Unexplained infertility
What can be the preparation for IUI?
- Before undergoing the procedure, the medical condition of the patient will be checked by the doctor.
- Follow the diet as instructed by the dietician.
- The semen sample will be collected from the male partner or from the donor on the day of the procedure.
- The collected semen sample will be washed to remove all the debris.
- The patient should inform past and present medical and medications history to the doctor.
- A few lab tests or other examinations may be recommended by the doctor to the patient.
- Discuss all the risks and complications along with the benefits of IUI with the doctor.
How IUI is done?
IUI can be done by following the below steps:
- With the help of a speculum, the doctor will check the cervix.
- The washed sperm sample will be injected into the uterus.
- In a few cases, the second insemination may be required.
- Progesterone may be prescribed after the procedure.
- A pregnancy test can be taken after two weeks of the procedure.
What is the recovery care for IUI?
- Few steps are recommended by the doctor for the recovery from IUI and they are:
- Before taking any painkillers, consult the doctor.
- Consult the doctor every week to check the lining of the uterine to understand the effectiveness of performed IUI.
- Avoid sexual intercourse for at least 48 hours after completion of IUI.
Which specialist can perform the IUI?
A Gynecologist can perform IUI.
How much does IUI cost in Pune?
Factors that may affect the cost of IUI are:
- Doctor fee
- Patient age
- Number of treatment cycles performed
- Type of hospital
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-procedure complications that are involved
- Admission fee
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum expenses for IUI in Pune starts from Rs. 8,500
Average amount to be paid for IUI in Pune is approximately Rs. 25,000
Maximum charges for IUI in Pune rise up to Rs. 40,000
To what kind of people IUI is recommended?
IUI is recommended in the following individuals:
- Females with good condition of reproductive organs that can support pregnancy but failed to conceive.
- Couples who want to avoid passing the genetic defect to baby from the male partner.
- Single women who like to get pregnant.
- Couples who have failed to conceive even after having unprotected sexual intercourse for one to two years.
- Same-sex couples who want to conceive.
To what kind of people IUI is not recommended?
IUI is not recommended to the individuals suffering from the following conditions:
- Blocked fallopian tubes
- Severe endometriosis
- Pelvic infections
- Tubal disease
- Failed history of IUI
- Low ovarian reserve
- Severe endometriosis
- Male partner infertility
What are the risks and complications associated with IUI?
Risks and complications of IUI are:
- Abdominal pain
- Ovarian cysts
- Visual disturbances
- Risk of developing an infection
- Low birth weight
- Swelling and rashes at and around the site of injection
- Vaginal bleeding
- Chance of multiple pregnancies
- Hot flashes
- Mood swings
What is the success rate of IUI?
The factors that affect the success rate of IUI are:
- Experience of the doctor
- The condition of the female reproductive organs
- Patient age
- Sperm motility
- Ovulation period
- Health condition of the patient
The success rate of IUI depends mostly on the number of cycles performed. However, if the IUI is done once per month for 4-5 months, then the success rate increases by 20% per each cycle.
Does IUI cause pain?
IUI procedure may cause mild to moderate pain that is similar to cramps and is tolerable.
What are the long-term results of IUI?
The long-term results of IUI are the chances to conceive.
What can be done if IUI fails?
If IUI is not successful on the first cycle, then the doctor may suggest performing 3-5 cycles of IUI. Still, IUI fails, then the doctor may recommend the following options:
- Micro IVF
- Drugs to stimulate ovulation
- Medications that help in increasing sperm motility
What are the other treatments apart from IUI?
Alternative treatment options apart from IUI are the following:
- Zygote intrafallopian transfer [ZIFT]
- Fertility drugs
- Gamete intrafallopian transfer [GIFT]
- Donor sperm Reproductive surgery
- In vitro fertilization [IVF]
- Donor embryos
- Donor eggs