1. What is sirodhara?
Shirodhara is an ayurveda therapy in which liquids are gently poured over the forehead. It is used in treating mental conditions like anxiety, stress and depression.
2. What benefits does sirodhara have?
Benefits of shirodhara:
- Improve concentration, memory
- Promote sleep, improve concentration
- Reduced ageing, eye disorders
- Reduce nasal problems
- Improve hearing, vision
- Increase blood circulation
3. How is sirodhara performed?
In shirodhara, the person is asked to lie down with his eyes closed. After this, nearly 2 liters of lukewarm oil is poured over the forehead slowly, continuously from an oscillating overhead pot. Care is taken to avoid oil entering eyes or ears. A light head massage may be given before and during the procedure.The entire procedure lasts for 30-60 minutes.
4. Who can benefit from sirodhara?
Shirodhara can benefit persons who are suffering from stress, depression, anxiety, headache, hypertension, post-traumatic stress disorder, sleep disorder, nasal problems and eye disorders.
5. What oils are used for shirodhara?
Herbalized sesame oil is most commonly used for shirodhara. Other oils that can be used for shirodhara are coconut oil, olive oil, milk or buttermilk.