Symptoms are; when im in deep sleep (most of the times it occurs when im dreaming) around 2 am , I jolt awake and its like I was holding my breath for some time, then I forcefully start breathing. Also when I wake up my stomach is bloated and either I burp or leave flatulence and after sometime I can go back to sleep.
175 Views1 Share
Like the answers? Chat privately for 24 hours with the doctor of your choice
If you have only this symptoms you may be suffering from obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
Now Let me explain in short, what is that? Sleep apnea is cessation of breath for sometime during sleep. It may range from just few seconds to even 1/2 a minute or more, and it may occur several times ( even 100) during one night.
Possible causes of sleep apnea are
1. Overweight, a very common association.
2. Obstruction of airway -
may be disease involving nose, throat, tonsils etc.
3. Anatomical abnormality ( Structural defect ) of airway system.
Now if we look at diagnostic point of view sleep apnea will be diagnosed primarily from history of sleep pattern specially from your bed partner. There may be history of snoring, teeth grinding indicative of obstructive airway disease. Also recurrent sinusitis ( sinus problem), common cold, nasal congestion may be the cause. The most reliable diagnostic technique is a test called POLYSOMNOGRAM. But It is available at very few places, so practically not possible.
As prescribing any medications are beyond the scope of this are I will like to suggest you to first follow this simple measures :
1. Reduce weight if you are over weight.
2. Avoid over eating at night. Eat light and healthy.
3. Stop smoking and taking alcohol.
4. Check BP if high consult a doctor nearby.
5. Repositioning of head during sleep. Use two pillows to raise the head end.
6. No sleeping pills.
7. Use nasal decongestants if nasal congestion present.
If all this measures fail I would like to suggest you to consult a ENT specialist doctor at earliest.
Hope to see you in perfect health very soon.